Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Shake by Damian Dryjas

I sit at the top of the course,
Doing all my stretches,
Adjusting my goggles,
My routine before a comp run
To calm me down
They call my bib number,
“Skier 199, you’re on deck to drop”
As soon as he says that,
The shaking initiates,
I don’t know what this shaking is,
is it excitement? Is it nerves?
Stay tuned and you will find out
I get my music going,
This isolates me from everything
This makes me focus
But still, I shake
I shake because I’m excited
I shake because I’m anxious to go
I shake because I’m nervous
But, I am excited
I go through my run multiple times in my head
“Bib 199, you’re next to drop”
The shaking stops,
My body knows its time to do what I came here to do
My coach gives me the pat on my back and the knuckle shake
“Have fun with it”
“Bib 199, on course”
My team mates cheer as I drop into the course

No comments:

Post a Comment